Many times you take part in computer or any other competitive exams, but you are not able to find a source from where you can learn some important things regarding computer. This is the best place for you if you want to know basic and advanced features and information about computer.
Hello Everyone! I welcome you again in my newly updated post. Here I will provide few basic and advanced informations related to computer which you can learn for any examination purpose or just for increasing your knowledge.
First of all I will provide few information in Q/A format:
- What is a Computer?
Ans. Computer is a device that stores and processes data according to the directions of a program to produce useful information.
2. What is hybrid computer?
Ans. It is a computer that combines features of analog and digital computer.
3. What is a file in computer?
Ans. File is a collection of related records composed of similar group of data. It is also called data set.
4. What is archie?
Ans. It is a software tool for searching locations of files stored on anonymous FTP sites.
5. What is a software?
Ans. It is a sequence of detailed instructions used to direct the operations-input, processing output and storage- of a computer. Software is also called computer program. It is generally of two kinds- system software and application software.
6. What is programming?
Ans. The art and science of creating a software or an application is called programming.
7. What is bug?
Ans. An error in a computer program.
8. What is debugging?
Ans. Debugging is the process to find or remove error from a computer program.
Now let’s have some important abbreviations (full forms) :
- ADT- Android Development Tools
- API- Application Program Interface
- ASCII- American Standard Code for Information Interchange
- BIT- Binary Digit
- BYTE- Binary Digit Eight
- COMPUTER- Commonly Operated Machine Particularly Used for Trade, Education and Research
- CPU- Central Processing Unit
- CDMA- Code Division Multiple Access
- CASE- Computer Aided Software Engineering
- COBOL- Common Business-Oriented Language
- CAD- Computer Aided Design
- CODEC- Compression Decompression
- CUI- Character User Interface
- DAT- Digital Audio Tape
- DOS- Disk Operating System
- DRAM- Dynamic Random Access Memory
- DBMS- Database Management System
- ENIAC- Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator
- FTP- File Transfer Protocol
- FORTRAN- Formula Translation
- GUI- Graphical User Interface
- HTTP- Hypertext Transfer Protocol
- HTTPS- Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure
- HTML- Hypertext Markup Language
- HLL- High Level Language
- IBM- International Business Machines
- JPEG- Joint Photographic Experts Group
- JDK- Java Development Kit
- JRE- Java Runtime Environment
- LLL- Low Level Language
- LOGO- Language of Graphics Oriented
- LAN- Local Area Network
- MODEM- Modulator Demodulator
- MPEG- Motion Picture Experts Group
- MAN- Metropolitan Area Network
- POP- Post Office Protocol
- PPP- Point-to-Point Protocol
- PNG- Portable Network Graphics
- PDF- Portable Document Format
- PAN- Personal Area Network
- QBASIC- Quick Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
- RAM- Random Access Memory
- ROM- Read Only Memory
- RDBMS- Relational Database Management System
- SDK- Software Development Kit
- SQL- Structured Query Language
- SMTP- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
- URL- Uniform Resource Locator
- UNIVAC- Universel Automatic Computer
- USB- Universel Serial Bus
- WAN- Wide Area Network
- WINDOWS- Wide Interactive Network Development for Office work Solution
- WYSIWYG- What You See Is What You Get
Storage in a computer:
- Bit- (0 or 1) It is the smallest unit for storage in any computer.
- 8 bit= 1 byte
- 1024 byte= 1 kilobyte
- 1024 kilobytes= 1 megabytes
- 1024 megabytes= 1 gigabyte
- 1024 gigabytes= 1 terabyte
- Nibble- Also called a baby byte. A 4 bit byte instead of more usual 8 bit byte.
Basic Informations :
- UNIVAC was the first electronic computer designed specially for business data-processing application. It was delivered to the US Bureau of Census on 14 June 1951. Many say that computer age started on this day.
- Computer mouse was created by Dr. Engelbart in 1968.
- Relational data model was proposed by E F Codd in 1970.
- The memory storage capacity of the first hard drive was just 5 mb.
- Apple Lisa was the first successful computer with a Graphical User Interface and a mouse. It cost $10,000.
- WordPress was released in 2003 by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little.
- YouTube (now owned by Google Inc.) was founded by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim.
- Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg in 2004.
- Twitter was created by Jack Dorsey in 2006.
- JPEG compression was introduced in 1992. It works by converting pixels of color image into blocks of pixels and then taking an average of the value of the brightness and color of these blocks, so that less data needs to be saved.
- Photoshop was originally developed by two brothers- Thomas and John Knoll in 1987. They developed ImagePro, which was later bought by Adobe to create well-known Photoshop.
If you really found this post helpful, then please don’t forget to like, share and follow.